android – Eclipse Upgrade Not Working-ThrowExceptions

Exception or error:

My Eclipse out of the blue stopped building my Android so I removed the old version and have installed Indigo. When I try to import an Android project in I get this error:

Errors occurred during the build.
Errors running builder 'Android Resource Manager' on project 'ACCUWX_HoneyComb'.
java.lang.NullPointerException
Errors running builder 'Android Pre Compiler' on project 'ACCUWX_HoneyComb'.
java.lang.NullPointerException
Errors running builder 'Java Builder' on project 'ACCUWX_HoneyComb'.
java.lang.NullPointerException

Please help!

How to solve:

Try removing the .metadata folder from your workspace. This holds all your configurations, even after a new install. I think if you just delete this folder, assuming everything is in place, you should be up and running again.

###

The 21.0.1 version of the Eclipse ADT tools has a bug that prevents a project building if you have any files without extensions in them. This is a particular problem for users (like me) using subversion which has extenion-less files.

The solution is to install the 21.1 preview version of the ADT tools and SDK manager from Google. Clear instructions can be found here and you can read all the background add your voice to the angry mob of developers here.

###

This happened to me today with ADT v21.0.1-543035 and it turned out to be the .svn directories throughout the directory structure. See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42051

Worked around the issue by upgrading svn client and working copy to 1.7.

###

For me, the source of the NullPointerException problem was a host-side Junit test project that references (and tests) code from an Android project. It didn’t have a project.properties file. It’s not an Android project, but for some reason the newer version of the SDK somehow expects the file there. To fix the problem, I just copied a project.properties file from an Android project to the host unit test project.

###

I had something similar. The problem was created by having some files without extension inside the /src folder.

###

In my case, a branch tool, changed the encode of the file project.properties, I changed the encode to Windows-1265 and the problem was solved.

###

I had the same issue and fixed it by following comment number 6 in this page:
Issue 42051: Subversion folder causes NPE in PreCompilerBuilder

Let me quote the comment:

Solved it by installing subversion support packages for eclipse:

http://gan.so/VgYT

It’s still a bug but…

###

same problem here, I closed Eclipse, manually removed any files in folder gen for the project, started Eclipse again, and made a build.

###

For also me, the source of the NullPointerException problem was a host-side Junit test project that references (and tests) code from an Android project. It didn’t have a project.properties file. I added it and problem got fixed.

###

I found the solution on this website(https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=68755)

So basically, what we should do is :
Bring up $ADT_DIR/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini in an editor. Before the -vmargs line, insert these two lines:

-vm 
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java

you can find the eclipse.ini following this
(On a Mac OS X system, you can find eclipse.ini by right-clicking (or Ctrl+click) on the Eclipse executable in Finder, choose Show Package Contents, and then locate eclipse.ini in the MacOS folder under Contents)

###

Upgrades did not work for me (on Linux), so I just installed IntelliJ Idea (build 123.155). Had to modify idea.sh to set JDK_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0 (the Oracle JDK) and to select [menu]RunRun…Edit Configurations…Target DeviceUSB device to make it work with the real device.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *