android – geocoder.getFromLocation(); Timed out waiting for response from server-ThrowExceptions

Exception or error:

I have an Android App launched to market over 6 months, which uses geocoder.getFromLocation() to “translate” latitude and longitude to human readable addresses:

Geocoder geocoder = new Geocoder(this, Locale.getDefault());
List<Address> addresses = geocoder.getFromLocation(latitude, longitude, 1);

Everything were working fine until 7 hours ago (2016-01-15 04:00 UTC). Worked with Google Support and as per their suggestion, post the problem here to see if anyone have any idea to resolve this problem.

I’ve talked with the Maps API’s Engineering Team, and it seems that
the Android Geocoder uses a different backend than the Geocoding API,
which we support, so there is not much we can do from our side right

In addition…

  • Is the issue happening in all Android devices? Yes
  • Can you access the following URL
    From a device presenting the issue? Yes. We can access it via
    browser in those Android devices.
  • Which version of Android do the devices have? Android versions ranging from 4.4.4 to 5.1.1
How to solve:

Sorry for late update here. From the Google’s response on 2016-01-15 09:41 PST…

After reviewing the information you provided, we believe that you may
be affected by a known issue. Here are some details about the issue:

Description: At approximately 11PM PST on 2016-01-14, we began
receiving reports that requests made via Android SDK’s geocoder are
timing. We have identified an outage in our backends which is
responsible for the observed errors. Our Eng team is working to
address the backend failures.

How to diagnose: Geocode requests using Android’s getFromLocation()
geocoder method
may return a timeout exception.

Workaround: There’s no workaround available at this time, but we’ll
let you know if we learn of one. …

According to my records, the service has been backed between 2016-01-15 12:00 and 18:00 PST.

And, thanks for Google Support keep me updated before this official response.


Solution: Try setting your device’s date and time to automatically get it from the network.

I think it’s preventing the API from obtaining the security certificate due to incorrect date/time and the API fails. Let me know if it works.


In Mexico, Geocoder working now with normality, check service in your app

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *