As the title says, I’m struggling having decent screenshots of my app on Play Store. I know there are similar questions, but none worked or helped me finding a solution. What I tried so far:
- 1280×720 RGBA PNGs ~100KB each, as created by the Android Studio emulator;
- 1280×720 RGB PNGs ~100KB each, by removing the alpha channel of previous ones;
- 1920×1080 RGBA PNGs ~150KB each, as created by the Android Studio emulator;
- 1920×1080 RGB PNGs ~150KB each, by removing the alpha channel of previous ones;
- 1920×1080 JPEGs ~150KB each, by converting previous ones with quality 92.
In each of these, there’s no visible lossy compression on my end. When I view them on Play Store on browser, they’re fine too. On Play Store app, they are all badly compressed the same way, with blocky gradients and ugly artefacts around text.
I tried clearing Play Store app cache many times, and I’ve obviously tested it on multiple devices.
I don’t see this on other apps, so there’s clearly something I’m doing wrong. Thanks. Edit: mmh, actually now that I look closely, almost all apps have a similar problem, but generally not as bad as mine. It looks like it affects dark themed apps the most.