I used Visual Studio 2015 to develop mobile app with Cordova. Before I upgraded to Windows10, I was using Windows 7 and it worked perfectly fine. After I’ve upgraded to Windows10, whenever I open a Cordova project or create a Cordova project the Visual Studio hangs (not responding).
I have tried to reinstall the Visual Studio but it still hangs.
Anyone has faced this problem before?
Here is the solution for this problem in VS 2015. This issue if you have Windows 10 and latest updates in VS 2015 including latest type script installation.
1) Open command prompt as administrator.
2) Navigate to the following folder path:
cd "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"
3) write the following command to find out vs_edition.exe file:
dir vs*exe /s /b
4) copy the full path that contains your vs edition exe from the screen.
5) write the following command:
6) VS installer will start, click on modify and then update. no need to change any features selection.
7) Wait until the installer finishes.
8) From the command prompt, navigate to the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE
9) Run the following commands:
devenv /updateconfiguration devenv /clearcache
Below screenshot shows the full commands set.
Now, you will be able to open VS 2015 and create cordova apps.
This is a known issue, and the solution is mentioned in the following link.
I still had few more issues with the Blank Cordova Project which would simply not build once the hanging issue was fixed. I’ll share my experience here to help others.
After recovering from the VS.Net2015 hanging I was still getting
"Error MSB3073 The command "platforms\android\cordova\clean.bat" exited with code 1. BlankCordovaApp7 C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\ApacheCordovaTools\vs-mda-targets\Microsoft.MDA.FileMirroring.targets 354“
I tried reinstalling the Android Studio again and found that it was not working, and the issue was: I had installed a 32 bit Java SDK on 64Bit OS. After In installed the 64Bit JDK and correcting the Path variable to point to this directory, I was able to start the Android Studio.
Now my Blank Cordova project was still not compiling with an error
'MySQL' is not recognized as an internal or external command, BlankCordovaApp7 C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\ApacheCordovaTools\vs-mda-targets\Microsoft.MDA.FileMirroring.targets 287
This was an interesting one, looks like its an issue with MySQL, in the PATH variable there were some & within the path. I used “” to surround those path
Now its compiling and also able to start the Ripple.
Hope it helps someone as it took me more than 2 weeks to fix.
Today , solved for me with Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova Update 2 for VS2015 Enterprise & Windows 8.1. 😉
I think there are some updates for Visual Studio 2015. I reinstalled it and it is working now.
Here is what I did:
- Uninstall the Visual Studio 2015 using the installer (vs-community.exe) from https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx
- Install Visual Studio 2015 using the same installer(vs-community.exe) and choose Typical Installation
- After the installation is done, run the installer (vs-community.exe) again and choose Custom Installation and choose to install Apache Cordova
- Then I am able to open and build Cordova project
Not sure if this helps.
In my case with VS2015, the problem was about missing SDK build tools for Android. The lack of information is due to the fact that Visual Studio does not show all the build information by default. Once more information is shown, we could see issues with third party dependency issues like Android build tool. There are a couple of ways to get more information during a build.
MSBuild build output verbosity
Dependency checker on the Cordova tools
Both of these are available from the tools menu. For more information see this post:
hope it helps.